Saturday, April 21, 2012

Young Justice Season 1 Review

"Young Justice" is something truly special to me. This is show I've kept under my radar for a long time, but thanks to the March-September 2010 hiatus, I lost track of it. But I caught "Failsafe" on CN, and what do you know? I'm became a huge fan.

The season finale aired today, I decided to a season 1 review, but I my opinions on the finale will be brought into "light" here.

Many of people haven't said this, but YJ is the best DC superhero animated show ever made. This is superior to JL/JLU, BTAS, STAS, and Beyond for two simple reasons: characters and overarching plotlines.

First, characters. We see Superboy and his issues with his father Superman, and him trying to fit in a world where he isn't in a Cadmus pod. Artemis, who is trying to keep her Supervillian family kept a secret from her teammates. M'Gann, who is fighting who she really is. Both Robin and Aqualad have leadership issues. Zatanna coping with the loss of her father. And lastly, Wally's denial, eventually putting him in a life and death situation.

Every single character is just phenomenal, and is a reason why I adore this show.

And the main plot of this show, The Light conspiracy. Everything they've done has built up to the big finale, them retrieving the Starro piece, partnering with Apokilips, the creation of Kobra Venom, and using the Injustice League as a distraction. Personally, my favorite Light members are Vandal Savage, Klarion, and Lex Luthor. Klarion is the immortal version of the Joker. Lex Luthor is YJ's version of a Greg Weisman trope- evil businessmen- example- Gargoyle's David Xanatos and TSSM'a Norman Osborn. Vandal Savage is a brilliant mastermind, who is the best villian on this show.

And lastly, the mole storyline. Probably one of the best season long mysteries in Animation history, it really kept me guessing. At first I was thinking Aqualad, Superboy, or M'Gann, all for various reasons. But this particular storyline came to unexpected end- it was Red Arrow/Speedy since the pilot.
He was a Cadmus clone with programming to infiltrate the League, and placed Starro tech on the League- and the Light's endgame, controlling the League.

When you look at this season as one big story, it's one of the best superhero shows in history.

Something not to be missed-really good stuff, With Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider Man, W.I.T.C.H. And now YJ, Greg Weisman has proved himself one of the best storytellers in Animation history.

And next week, the Invasion is coming, And I'm absoultely pumped.

-spartanx54

I will also be doing Legend of Korra reviews, so stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment